Let us help with some fast facts about Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud, and the books.
Who is Anne of Green Gables?
- Anne Shirley is the main character in the fictional novel that was written by Lucy Maud Montgomery in 1908.
- The novel tells the story of precocious Anne Shirley, an orphan, who is sent to live on a farm in Cavendish, PE.
- The story takes place in Cavendish, Prince Edward Island where author Lucy Maud lived with her grandmother after her mother passed away when she was just a young girl.
- The story is fictional but is based on real places and people that LM Montgomery experienced while living on the Island.
Background of Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Lucy Maud was an only child and went to live with her grandparents in Cavendish after her mother passed away when she was a baby.
- She often spent time playing with her cousins at their family farm in Park Corner named Silver Bush.
- At the age of nine she began writing poetry and later went on to become a teacher.
- In 1905 she wrote her most famous novel: Anne of Green Gables. It was rejected by publishing houses several times before becoming published in 1908. It immediately became a best seller and was the starting point to LM Montgomery’s career as an author.
- She went on to write 20 novels with all of them being set in Prince Edward Island with the exception of one.
Facts about Anne of Green Gables
- The book has sold an estimated 50 million copies and has been translated into more than 36 different languages.
- People come from all over the world to visit Prince Edward Island and especially the Green Gables Heritage House located in Cavendish.
- Anne of Green Gables is part of the Japanese school curriculum and many Japanese come to visit the Island during the summer months.
Green Gables Heritage Place
- Parks Canada has restored the original Green Gables farmhouse and has made it a National Historic Site where visitors can tour the house and the surrounding woods that are also mentioned in LM Montgomery’s novels.
- Visitors can even meet Anne herself, portrayed by an actress.
- The original Campbell home that housed LM Montgomery’s cousins in Park Corner, Prince Edward Island is now home to the Anne of Green Gables Museum.
- On the property guests will find the museum, beautiful flower gardens, a gift shop, a view of the Lake of Shining Waters, a playground for children, and Matthew’s Carriage Rides.
- Guests can take a carriage ride where they will view the Lake of Shining Waters and drive through the beautiful flower gardens and around the property.
Our Tours Featuring Anne of Green Gables
- We offer a variety of tours for Anne fans of all ages. Our tours stop at both Green Gables Heritage House and the Anne of Green Gables Museum at Silver Bush.
- Our Anne of Green Gables Adventure Private Tour is for the ultimate Anne fan. This five-hour tour visits both the Anne of Green Gables Museum and the Green Gables Heritage House as well as a photo stop at Montgomery’s birthplace in New London.
- Our Island Scenic Drive and Anne of Green Gables Private Tour is a four-hour tour which visits the Green Gables Heritage House as well as Cavendish Beach.
- See our full tour line up with lots of fun and exciting PEI itineraries by clicking HERE.