Hi everyone, Tour Coordinator Bryanna here! There is so much to do on Prince Edward Island that it is almost impossible to name everything! PEI is known for its red sandstone cliffs, pink sandy beaches, sand dunes, gorgeous lighthouses, and of course Anne of Green Gables. What many visitors don’t know is that there are lots of things to do inside as well.
Our team has come up with a list of indoor activities to do on PEI that are fun for everyone! We have broken our list down into three main categories: Entertainment, Shopping, and Activities. Please note that this list is not extensive, as we cannot possibly include everything there is to do, but the items that made this list are some of our favourites!
- The Confederation Centre of the Arts is located in the heart of Downtown Charlottetown, directly beside Province House – the birthplace of Confederation. Inside the sprawling modern complex you will find a large theatre, art galleries, fine dining, and the largest public library on Prince Edward Island. The theatre is home to the Charlottetown Festival – a summertime lineup of various productions including “Anne of Green Gables The Musical” which holds the Guinness World Record for the longest running annual musical. It has been playing at the Confederation Centre every summer since 1965. You can click this link to find out what will be playing during your stay: https://confederationcentre.com/whats-on/
- If you are interested in theatre, you can also find many local productions at the Mack Theatre and the Guild Theatre in Charlottetown as well as the Harmony House in Hunter River. There are also many Ceilidhs (musical events filled with traditional Irish and Scottish music, dancing, and storytelling) that run year-round all-across the Island.
- One of the most popular shopping destinations during the summer season is the Cavendish Boardwalk, a unique indoor/outdoor shopping experience located on the North Shore of Prince Edward Island. The Boardwalk has many different shops offering PEI merchandise and gifts. You will also find restaurants onsite including: Captain Scott’s Seafood, Pizza Delight, and Subway. Don’t forget about dessert – visit Cows to try some of their world-famous ice cream or grab a BeaverTail, a delicious Canadian treat.
- In the capital city of Charlottetown, visitors can explore the Confederation Court Mall which is connected to the Confederation Centre by an underground tunnel, and the Charlottetown Mall which is home to brand-name stores such as H&M, SportChek, Winners, and much more.
There are a wide variety of fun activities to do on PEI that we could only talk about a few of our favourites. We made sure to choose some for those who want to be active and some that have more of a slower pace!
- If you like jumping on trampolines, then Off the Wallz in Summerside, PEI is the place for you. This trampoline park is the perfect place to spend a rainy morning or afternoon. Off the Wallz has trampolines, foam pits, obstacles to climb, slides, and so much more. They are open year-round and during the summer months they have a splash park filled with inflatable obstacles located in the Summerside Harbour.
- In Stratford, PEI you can find the Red Rock Climbing Wall, an indoor rock wall and climbing gym. The gym features six different climbing walls that are perfect for beginners to professionals. This is another indoor activity that is fun for the whole family.
- In Cavendish, PEI there are many unique mini golf courses, and one of our favourites just happens to be indoors. Black Magic Indoor Mini Golf has a glow in the dark blacklight course that is both challenging and fun! Make sure to wear white so you glow inside the course.
- Also located in Cavendish is Mariner’s Cove Boardwalk, a fun filled place for the whole family. Here you will find Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Odditorium – an interactive gallery filled with crazy displays and Wax World of the Stars – a museum of wax-made replicas of all your favourite celebrities, fictional characters, athletes, and other figures. Don’t forget to take lots of pictures to show your friends and family back home!
As we mentioned above, this is not a list of ALL the things that you can do on PEI, but we hope that we were able to help you better plan your time on Prince Edward Island by showing you some of the lesser known activities that can be found on our little sandbar.