Job Description – Driver-Guide
Position Title: Driver-Guide
Department: Target Tours Atlantic
Reporting To: Tour Coordinator
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Term: Seasonal (May to October)
- Believe relationships and experiences are more important than things and possessions.
- Enjoy talking to new people. You tend to make friends easily.
- Love learning, sharing fun facts, and the power of storytelling.
- Love a good drive to explore your own backyard.
- Find yourself looking for a fun activity to fill some extra time.
- Enjoy being spontaneous and making changes on the fly.
- Prefer to be a member of a team than run your own show.
General Job Description:
As a Target Tours Atlantic Driver-Guide you will be responsible for touring small groups of passengers on private tours of Halifax and the surrounding areas (like Peggy’s Cove of course!). The groups range in size from 2 to 6 and as a guide you will be providing stories, interesting facts, information, and classic Maritime hospitality while driving and touring guests around different Nova Scotian sights. You will follow pre-determined itineraries designed by the Target Tours Atlantic Tour Coordinators but are encouraged to customize tours to suit the needs of the guests in the private group. You will also consult on tour development in the Nova Scotia region.
- To have or complete Target Tours Atlantic’s Tour Guide Training.
- To have or complete your class 4 commercial driver’s license.
- To have or complete Standard First Aid (CPR/AED).
- To perform tours with commentary by using a headset microphone while in the vehicle.
- To become highly familiar with Nova Scotian history and information.
- To learn and become proficient in our web and app based scheduling software.
- To ensure safe handling, storage, and passage of Company monies when required.
- To accept any other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- To be aware of and adhere to company policies.
- Fluent in reading, writing, and conversing in English required. Additional languages such as French, German, or Spanish considered an asset.
- Must be available during the entire touring season (May – October).
- A class 4 commercial driver’s license is considered an asset.
- Three years or more experience driving commercially is an asset.
- Tour Guiding experience considered an asset.
- Standard First Aid is considered an asset.
One more thing!
Due to the unpredictable demand of tourism it is challenging to refer to this position as “Full Time”. For this reason, Driver-Guiding suites folks who have a lot of flexibility in their schedules. This is a good position to supplement a part time job or as a position during retirement. Working on weekends or holidays can be required and your schedule changes week to week. Most shifts are during the day and very rarely would you have requests to work in the evenings. Shifts can range from 1 – 2 per week and upwards to 5 – 6 shifts during the high season.
More about Target Tours Atlantic:
There is nothing more important to us than our relationships. This includes relationships with our clients but also with our team. We laugh and share stories every day as a team but getting things done is always top of mind. We are an innovative company that is always finding new ways to do things. Change doesn’t scare us and neither does the unpredictable!
What clients have said about Target Tours Atlantic:
“The friendliest, most knowledgeable, fun loving group of people. They care about their clients and provide the best that can be offered. AND, if a change is needed, they go out of their way to do so, still providing the best service. Overall, a fantastic group.”
“Amazing! The customer always comes first, and this is not only in words but actions. Have always found they go the extra mile.”
“Target Tours Atlantic was customer focused, friendly and responsive and the next time I’m in PEI – and there will be a next time – they will be my go-to company for any tour assistance I need. I recommend them highly.”
To apply, please forward your Cover Letter (required) and Resume by email to:
Jacqueline Skinner-Operations Manager [email protected]
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job closing date: March 19th, 2019